Sunday, September 20, 2009

My Favorite Places In NYC to Eat For The Food Itself


Before I got pregnant I lived on 43rd street and 11th avenue. I resided in this awesome one bedroom until I was 8 months pregnant and we moved into a house 30 minutes away in westchester. Well, none of those factors have affected my dining in NYC. When we have a craving we go. My son has eaten out in more glamorous restaurants than any other non-celebrity kid I know of. When he was an infant we thought this was a cinch because he would sleep through dinner right in his car seat carry out.As he got older and sleep was unnecessary we went to Walmart and got the greatest tool of parenthood- a dvd player- and we don't go anywhere with it. Helpful on flights and anywhere else. My only advice is to keep it charged. I'm only going to mention restaurants with damn good food and these places are slightly steep on the price but your belly will be happy. Quality, ambience, service. First off is Geisha, upper east side. Yum, yum, yum.This place is a maze. Booths to the right of the bar a small room and sushi bar in the back and tables in narrow corridors upstairs. good food, great service.33 E 61st street.Next is Vento in the meat packing district. It's a tall triangular brick building dead center in the fork of the road touching Hudson St.Their menu changes but what's consistently good is a simple margarita pizza. I've been know to finish two after a hangover. 675 Hudson Street at 14th street. Aquagrill downtown on Spring street is excellent on service and the freshest fish. You will consistently get an excellent meal here. Fresh clam and oyster bar. I'm a regular of the tuna carpaccio and the lobster salad. If you do bring your little one there is a huge playground right around the corner.I've been going here for 3 years and if you can make it on a weekend the blueberry pancakes will be the best pancakes you ever have.210 spring street.Next is Hearth only open for dinner. Saw Dustin Hoffman here. Excellent wine ist and if you can sit at the stools in the kitchen. They used to have snapper crudo which I literally ordered and finished 3 orders of. Yes I can eat! But sadly, they took it off the menu, maybe it's seasonal and will be back. they have a replacement that is equally good and I think it's red snapper hamachi. Pastas are always homemade and you're not going to get these dishes anywhere else. One of a kind. Brick walls small bar, reservations recommended. Across from a small skate park. 403 East 12th street.Mercer kitchen is a hotel that caters to models and actors and anyone who wants to see or be seen. saw Hugh Grant here recently.99 Prince Street is in the heart of shopping town. Shop after shop after shop. I love the beet salad with goat cheese. The roast chicken with mashed potatoes and green beans is a yummy classic. The chicken is so moist and tender. The bar is lit purple and there are communal tables next to the open kitchen to peak in and watch. Take the K in the elevator from the hotel to get to the lower level or take the stairs but warning wearing a short skit for the patrons below. Across the street from Mercer Kitchen is another favorite downstairs. Lure can only be seen on street level as nautical windows.Once inside you are on a yacht. Large leather booths and wood lacquered floors. You have to get the shrimp tempura-slightly spicy, the yellow tail hamachi and the lobster croutons. The lobster croutons are so expensive but the salty ocean water taste will leave you blissful and try to find them anywhere else.142 Mercer Street,Lure. A personal favorite of mine is Chinatown Brasserie and I have to emphasize the fact that I hate Chinese food. This place doesn't look like much inside but they de-vein their shrimp! need I say more? Not many places de-vein the shrimp in their shrimp fried rice. So buttery and good. I honestly finish an order by myself plus at least 6 orders or steamed dumplings. I know you think i'm making this up. I'll have to post a video one day. orders aren't enough. They come 4 dumplings in each steam bucket. we switch off between the shrimp, the shrimp and snow pea and the mushroom and buck choy. There are no mystery fillings, no MSG, all dumpling and meat and vegetable. No cheap stuffing that you wonder what your chewing on. there is nothing else but wholesome goodness.I could eat here every day. Pic shown. 380 Lafayette
The best steak in the whole wide world gets owned by Del Friscos. 1221 avenue of the Americas. Be prepared to spend but you will be so happy you did. The best, the finest, most craved after steak is only here. Start with crab cake because i'm still searching for another crab cake in lobster bisque just like it and without luck. This one melts in your mouth. When i'm bad I go really bad with a side of garlic and oil pasta.

No comments:

Post a Comment